Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dear Family and Friends,
Today is my first official P-Day. It is also on America Day. To celebrate, me and the other Elders went to McDonalds and got their nasty apple pies...because they're American.
The work as I might have said already is really hard. Our area is just barely opened and I am in the only Spanish companionship down here. We still keep busy. We ate at a members house the other day and ate some awesome Dominican Food. The missionaries call her Mama Jose. She is the Mama of all the missionaries. She is really nice and I could actually understand her spanish. Unlike the mother of one of our investigators who if what she said was written out it would look like this: ";kwfdjknjsdafiuowek libro mkmlkljsdjdkjl;sop gato amkl;a,kl" It's really hard. Especially since they keep on dropping all the s's. Speaking of the investigator. Did I already speak about Y*? Well...she's getting baptized on the 11th. And guess who gets to do the baptism? That's right! MY COMPANION!! I get to do the confirmation...in Spanish...I've been practicing a lot...and praying. Other than that I have met almost all the investigators and they are all awesome. I found out something fun though. On my mission I thought the only religions that I would really encounter would be Catholics and Baptists. Not true. I am also running into Jehovah Witness's and Hebrew Israelites. And they are not nice to missionaries.
The only other way we've been busy is by tracting in the projects. That's always interesting. I've meet some of the coolest people in the projects. We taught this one kid named David who had grown up in a Buddhist household. His mum came in halfway through the lesson and started shouting at us. We didn't know what she was saying, because she spoke Chinese, but the son kept on saying that it was fine and to keep going. After a while the daughter had to come and tell us to leave. Apparently the mum didn't like us that much. But the son did. I've also gotten the best answers while knocking doors. Here's a few of my favorite

Them: "No ones home" us: "Are you sure?"
Them: "Who's there?" us: "The missionaries" Them: "Oh...we're Jehovah Witnesses" (Heard from behind the closed door 'haha, I told them we were Jehovah Witnesses")
Us: "hi were the missionaries" Them: "We don't speak English" (in a perfect English accent)
Them: "Do you like work for a company or something?"
Them: "Sorry about the smoke dudes" (not cigarette smoke)
Them: look out the peep hole....slowly back away.

Ya...those are the most common ones. The funny thing about the last one is that here in New York, you can see when people open the spy holes. We totally know their home...they just don't answer.

Needless to say. It hasn't gone very well....but we're still working hard.
Keep writing. It might take a little longer to answer letters now because I only get them during zone conferences but I will respond.
Also....Catie Nielson, if you are reading this...I did send a letter but it was sent back to me....so I tried again....hope it worked....

I'll send pictures soon.
Elder Jeremy Sherman.
P.S. I forgot to mention something that is really hard here. There are posters for Spiderman, Avengers, Rock of Ages, and Dark Knight RIses everywhere around here. Some of the bus stops even have little TVs that play the trailers.
P.S.S. something else that's funny. There are posters for Broadways "Book of Mormon" everywhere. One lady even asked me to sing one of the songs. I almost started singing "I am a child of God"


No comments:

Post a Comment