Dear Family and Friends,
This week has been awesome. My first official P Day was on the Fourth of July. Therefore we did American things. We went to Battery Park to look at the Statue of Liberty, Saw the Golden Bull (affectionately called by someone in the ward "The Golden Calf of Moses"), Walked past Trinity Church, Walked past the Freedom Towers, and Looked at Ground Zero. I also had my first 5 Guys burger...which was the best burger I've ever had. Also, there is a rule that on the 4th of July we need to be in early...so basically we had P Day all day.
The work is still tough. Almost no one wants to listen to us and the people who do keep on cancelling appointments....and that includes the members who sighed up to feed us....but it's alright. I've got something that looks life food. We also have a pizza place really close to us that sells pizza for only a dollar. So I am well taken care of.
The last couple days we've been tracting with no luck. We had one guy that seemed a little interested, but as soon as he heard that we were the Mormons he slammed the door in our faces. Even my companion was confused. So, we decided to go to how they preached in the old days....we set up a table in union square and tried to stop people. Usually people just ignore us. A couple people come up to us and try to bash us, and very few actually want to learn more. But, the people who do want to learn more are golden. I even got to speak Spanish with a guy and tell him about the Book of Mormon. He seemed really happy. You would think that he would have asked for the missionaries. Well.....he did......he lives in Queens.....Not even in my area. We also had some guy come up to us and try and convert us to some church that revolves around a flying meatball. We thought he was joking at first, but when he said that if we don't convert we would boil in a giant pot without salt or seasoning.....we ended the conversation.... (those were exact words)
We also ran into some workers for the Obama campaign. They were really nice people. It was also really interesting though because they thought that since we're Mormons we grew up without Cable and other things. The girl also really liked me.....and when I say that.....I mean really liked me. She showed us a picture of her ex-boyfriend and I look exactly like him. Except according to her....I'm cuter (of course). We taught her the Word of Wisdom, gave her a Book of Mormon, then got out of there. I had to pull the "I've already got a Girl-Friend" line. Whether that phrase was honest or not.....she will never know.
So, on a more spiritual note. My First baptism is today! Her name is Yanilsa and she is awesome. The perfect investigator. What is even cooler is that she had been raised a Jehovah Witness. I'm really excited. I'm sad that I didn't get to teach her that much but I am really happy that I was able to be here for this.
Well that's all for now. Hope all is going well over there in Utah (Which apparently has never heard of pop culture or mainstream according to some...)
Love you all
Elder Sherman
P.S. I forgot to mention...I am known as a "Hipster Missionary" by all the Elders
This week has been awesome. My first official P Day was on the Fourth of July. Therefore we did American things. We went to Battery Park to look at the Statue of Liberty, Saw the Golden Bull (affectionately called by someone in the ward "The Golden Calf of Moses"), Walked past Trinity Church, Walked past the Freedom Towers, and Looked at Ground Zero. I also had my first 5 Guys burger...which was the best burger I've ever had. Also, there is a rule that on the 4th of July we need to be in early...so basically we had P Day all day.
The work is still tough. Almost no one wants to listen to us and the people who do keep on cancelling appointments....and that includes the members who sighed up to feed us....but it's alright. I've got something that looks life food. We also have a pizza place really close to us that sells pizza for only a dollar. So I am well taken care of.
The last couple days we've been tracting with no luck. We had one guy that seemed a little interested, but as soon as he heard that we were the Mormons he slammed the door in our faces. Even my companion was confused. So, we decided to go to how they preached in the old days....we set up a table in union square and tried to stop people. Usually people just ignore us. A couple people come up to us and try to bash us, and very few actually want to learn more. But, the people who do want to learn more are golden. I even got to speak Spanish with a guy and tell him about the Book of Mormon. He seemed really happy. You would think that he would have asked for the missionaries. Well.....he did......he lives in Queens.....Not even in my area. We also had some guy come up to us and try and convert us to some church that revolves around a flying meatball. We thought he was joking at first, but when he said that if we don't convert we would boil in a giant pot without salt or seasoning.....we ended the conversation.... (those were exact words)
We also ran into some workers for the Obama campaign. They were really nice people. It was also really interesting though because they thought that since we're Mormons we grew up without Cable and other things. The girl also really liked me.....and when I say that.....I mean really liked me. She showed us a picture of her ex-boyfriend and I look exactly like him. Except according to her....I'm cuter (of course). We taught her the Word of Wisdom, gave her a Book of Mormon, then got out of there. I had to pull the "I've already got a Girl-Friend" line. Whether that phrase was honest or not.....she will never know.
So, on a more spiritual note. My First baptism is today! Her name is Yanilsa and she is awesome. The perfect investigator. What is even cooler is that she had been raised a Jehovah Witness. I'm really excited. I'm sad that I didn't get to teach her that much but I am really happy that I was able to be here for this.
Well that's all for now. Hope all is going well over there in Utah (Which apparently has never heard of pop culture or mainstream according to some...)
Love you all
Elder Sherman
P.S. I forgot to mention...I am known as a "Hipster Missionary" by all the Elders
No comments:
Post a Comment